Logo design and logo registration is an important stage in the company’s activity. Current trends require companies to be distinguishable, and the brand plays an essential role in this process. The logo is also an important component in determining the face of the corporate, which is necessary for successful development and attracting new customers. But some companies and entrepreneurs use someone’s logos to attract attention to their product without the permission of the logo owner. In this regard, the registration of the logo is the necessary step to officially assign the rights to the company that designed this mark.
What is logo?
A logo is an individual graphic sign (figure), font marking of a brand, or a combination of a graphic sign and font spelling. The purpose of the patent logo is to convey its idea to the target audience of the company. The main functions of the logo are outlined below.
Distinctive, associative function
High-quality logos distinguish a product and a company from a competitive environment. By logos, the customers usually distinguish the goods of one company from another.
The protective function
Being the corporate property the logo protects its goods and services. If a company uses someone else’s logo for certain purposes, it can become subject to administrative proceedings according to the law.
Putting your logo on the product, you guarantee its quality. Note that not all companies use the logo. But those companies that are confident and have long been working in the market practically do not produce products without a registered trademark logo.
You have probably noticed company logos on the clothes. This is the simplest example when a good-looking logo enhances the aesthetics of a product while guaranteeing its quality and protecting the product from a fake. The best logos are not just pictures, but important aesthetic elements in the product’s design.
The logo creates a certain image of the company, helps the target audience to easily recognize the product, associate it with a certain quality, reputation of the company, and other advertising parameters.
Thus, a quality logo is an important component of the corporate image. In addition to the above functions, the logo also performs informational and psychological functions. It informs the buyer about the manufacturer who created the product and develops a positive attitude towards the company.
What you need to register a logo
There are only three main types of logo patent:
- Text. Normally, it is a stylized combination of letters or numbers made using the company’s style fonts. The company name may not be used for creating a text logo. It can include abbreviations, various words, and phrases.
- Symbol (sign or graphic). The advantage of abstract visual logos is their fast recognizability and memorability.
- Combined. The most frequent type of logo, combining text and graphic elements. It is believed to be versatile, allowing using the components individually for different media.
Logo registration is a procedure of giving the status of a registered trademark to the image. The core of registration is the process of documenting a trademark, i.e., fixing a visual concept as the intellectual property of the company. Logo registration is carried out building on the idea that any image is unique. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for similar logos to be created completely independently by different designers. Registration in such cases is impossible, because the logo is aimed to protect customers from confusion, and two identical marks will mislead them. Therefore, before registering a logo, you must make sure that such a picture is not used by any other corporation.
Logo trademark registration is an advantage because when it comes to large-scale businesses and companies that reach the regional, state, or international level of sales, and high brand awareness, they become a profit magnet. If the firm neglects logo registration the competitors can use it and remove part of the income by misleading consumers.
Registration of the logo provides official grounds established by law to insure your business against the opponents’ activities, as well as scammers, which could ruin its reputation.Atrium Business Solutions
Steps to register a logo
Probably the main concern of any entrepreneur or company owner is how to patent a logo design. International and national laws allow registration of a logo in the territory of your country. To ensure the legal protection of a trademark in other countries, you can go in two ways:
- register the logo in each of them (national registration of the logo) by contacting the national departments of each country of interest directly;
- submit a single application to all countries of interest under the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol.
If the first way of registering a logo is chosen, then it is rather difficult to give some general recommendations. The fact is that each country has its own rules, norms, and deadlines for a patent pending logo. It is necessary to go from national legislation and not to forget that everywhere there are limitations, requirements, and deadlines.
Nevertheless, it is possible to provide at least an approximate algorithm of actions for registering a logo in this case. So you will need:
- Make an application according to the requirements of the legislation of the country where the logo is registered. The language must be consistent with the official language of that state.
- Apply with the official patent attorney of this state.
- Pay fees in the currency of the state where the logo is registered to avoid exchange rate differences.
- To continue further business in the language of that state.
Now consider the second way on how to patent a logo internationally. The international community has created simplified procedures that make it possible to register a logo immediately in a group of countries, having performed a small number of actions. Such procedures include the registration of a trademark under the Madrid system following the Madrid Agreement and the Protocol to the Madrid Agreement.
What are the advantages of this way of logo registration?
- You can register your logo in many countries in a short time. For example, the Madrid system includes almost a hundred countries.
- The procedure for logo registration is quite simple, and in just one application you can specify all countries in which it is necessary to register the trademark.
- The cost of registering a logo can be significantly lower than the cost of completing this procedure in each country separately.
- There is no need to follow the rules for logo registration established in all these states.
- It is required to use one language for logo registration online application without the need to look for translators for each country separately;
- Correspondence is also conducted in one language, which greatly simplifies the procedure for registering a logo.
- Logo registration documentation is published on the WIPO website.
However, it’s necessary to consider that applying for the international registration of a logo under the Madrid system is permitted only if this trademark is already registered, or at least applied, within the applicant’s country.