The ease of domain name registration allows individuals to cheat by promoting their services through well-known trademarks or by selling online names. However, we will talk about domain name protection further.
Why can you lose your domain name
A domain name is the only virtual property on the Internet. And as a rule, the owner chooses a domain name by the name of his business activity or trademark (if it is a national top-level domain, it cannot be registered without the trademark). This is why cyber squatters use to register a domain name is identical to someone else’s trademark and then request funds to transfer the rights to that hosting to the trademark owner.
The most common domain name theft happens in the COM zone, as the process of registering and transferring a hosting in this zone is simple, and the zone itself is the most popular worldwide and many well-known big brands register the site names that way.
Cyber squatters are waiting for inattentive site owners who, even after the hosting registration deadline, never mention about to pay for the domain. To avoid getting into this situation, use the following lifehacks:
1. It’s best to be the sole owner of your site and only you have access to the account where your domain is registered.
2. The account must be linked to your main email or any email, but with forwarding to your main email. This is to prevent the message from being missed about the domain prolonging.
3. Because everything related to the service, the owner does himself, and if you have a large company, you may forget or did not control – and everything, the domain is captured. And the loss of domain name may mean that you lose a significant portion of the audience of that resource. Therefore, it is advisable for a large company to appoint responsible several persons for this matter. And configure messages from the domain registrar for these persons.
Ways to protect domain names
Let’s take a look at the basic rules for keeping your site name:
- Create strong passwords for your accounts. The password should be as difficult as possible and, of course, long. Complex passwords are difficult to crack and steal your account accordingly.
- Prolong domains on time. Delay can result in the payment of an additional amount for the renewal – for some domain zones, one month after the expiration of the term, you will have to pay an amount that is several times greater than the amount of the prolong. Be attentive. Some hostings can be paid for several years at a time, so if your domain name is really important to you, then buy it for a long time.
- DO NOT use a domain mailbox to register your hosting. In this case, if your domain is stolen, robbers will not be able to access the domain contact email and will not be able to change it. And you, in turn, will be able to regain ownership of the domain name.
- When registering, provide only your real data, as it will be your hosting name. Do not be afraid to provide accurate information, it will in no way be disclosed to third parties. To hide private domain owner information, use the Privacy Protection service, which hides domain owner information in the whois.
- To register a domain, select a verified registrar. For example, one who has been working in the market for this type of service for quite some time and has positive feedback about his work on the Internet and independent resources. The domain name registration company of your choice should immediately register the domain upon receipt of your payment, provide domain transfer services from other registrars as needed, and operate around the clock. There are also several convenient options for contacting technical support, such as email, phone, skype, ticket system, chat. By registering a hosting with such a company, you will be sure that the site name belongs to you.
- Keep track of people who registers similar domain names with yours. So-called cyber pirates register hosting names that are very similar to your existing site. You can certainly secure yourself by purchasing all the major domain names in each country where you do business. But it should be done if your business has a large scale online and you value your reputation.
The problem with the exercise of the right of defense in the domain name dispute resolution arises in general, given that industrial property objects, such as trademarks for goods and services, have territorial protection, whereas the right to use a hosting name is universal, does not fall within the specific jurisdiction.
Disputes regarding rights violations on the Internet also raise questions about the jurisdiction of the courts to which the domain name dispute process is subject to the jurisdiction, given the presence of a foreign element in such cases, the location of the defendant’s, the accessibility of the website to which the hosting name is addressed, the establishment of actions or domain name misuse events that determine the location of the violation. In this regard, in each case the territorial jurisdiction of the court is determined individually, taking into account the rules of private international law, local procedural rules.
The timing and cost of domain name dispute, as well as the flexibility of the courts, will also be important factors that will affect the prospects of litigation.Atrium Business Solutions
Many site owners are not quite concerned about domain ownership. But there are times when the domain name of your site may fall into the wrong hands and restore access to it will be almost impossible or you will have to pay a considerable amount to the one who stole it. Therefore, you must be protecting domain names.